Friday 7 March 2014

LOC - Anything Goes....

Today is the launch of our 'Anything Goes' challenge over at LOC in honour of our 1st Blogaversary! :D

We're having parties on all of the team's blogs and many super sponsors to add to the mix!

Today, we have a brand new Temporary Teamie and she's being thrown in at the deep end by debuting today as out Guest Design Team member.

Welcome Helen (Crom) Cullum!  :D

You can see Helen's work here and over at LOC too! Please pop over to her blog and give her a warm welcome!


For our 'Anything Goes' first day, I'm not scheduled to do a piece but I came up with a little bit of something you all may like.

They're not new - they've been around for donkey's years and I certainly don't know who originated the original techniques, I only know I've been using them for at least 14 years.  However, slight variations pop up now and then bearing a different title and claiming to have been 'invented' by the craft world's latest 'wunderkind'.   

These techniques I'm about to showcase, are just what I have been using since I've been crafting in my present incarnation as Eiglas.



JOSEPH'S COAT TECHNIQUE


This technique has been called many things over the years but I like this title - it describes it well - the coat of many colours!


Materials

Plain white standard cardstock bigger than your stamp (I use Ryman's coated 200gsm usually)
Dye ink or inkpad(s) ‘Big & Juicy’ multi–colour are brill (sadly, they've now stopped producing these - I've no idea why) or you can use a variety of smaller pads. Distress inks would work well too but the brightest colours work best.
Ink blending pads (Cut & Dry works well) or brayer
Rubber stamps(s)
Clear embossing inkpad (Versamark is brill)
Clear embossing powder
Heat Gun
Black pigment ink or inkpad (Distress inkpad in Black Soot will also do the job)
Kitchen roll or soft cloth.





Method
Using either the brayer or the blending pads, cover the cardstock with patches of DYE inkpad colour in linear (brayer) or random (pads) pattern. Heat set with heat gun or leave overnight to dry.






When cool/dry, ink up stamp with clear ink (Versamark etc) and stamp your image.
Use the clear embossing powder and heat gun to clear emboss the image.





Wait for the image to cool, then apply black ink to the whole surface of the card using either the brayer or the pads—your own preference. Don't worry - you won't spoil it!



Then the magic........! 


With your soft cloth, wipe over the embossed image and it will reveal the lovely colours behind the resistant embossing powder.


Joseph's Coat!

For my top image, I mounted the finished image onto acetate and also trimmed the edges of the acetate with Joseph's Coat treated card pieces.

I hope you'll enjoy trying this out and we all get to see what you produce!


                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For my second technique, I'm bringing you another resist technique which, when I learned it, didn't have a name but I believe it's now titled 'Ghost Resist'.



I love this one - it's very addictive!






 
Materials (pic 1)
Gloss cast-coated cardstock bigger than your stamp. Colour is your
choice. Astralux is brill. (I don't use photo paper because it doesn't like the heat-gun)
Dye ink or inkpad(s) ‘Big & Juicy’ multi –colour are brill or you can use a variety of smaller pads. Distress inks work well.
Ink blending pads (Cut & Dry works well) or brayer
Rubber stamps(s)
Clear embossing inkpad (Versamark is brill)
Heat Gun
Black dye ink or inkpad (for overstamped verse at the end.)
Kitchen roll or soft cloth


Method

This method differs to the Joseph's Coat in a couple of ways.

Using your clear embossing inkpad, stamp your image onto your cast-coated card.
‘Set’ the ink using your heat gun.

Then, using either your brayer or your pads, cover the whole of the card with your lightest colours (pic 2)

Using cloth or kitchen roll wipe over the stamped image and the
original card colour will remain.
Repeat step one with your next stamp.
Repeat step two with the next lightest ink.
Polish with cloth again.
Just repeat these steps, avoiding the very lightest bits if you wish to keep the original colour anywhere.

The image will remain the original colour of the card as the embossing powder resist will protect it.

If liked, overstamp the finished image with black dye ink as I have with my verse.

I hope you enjoy both of these techniques and have a go!
Please do join us over on the LOC blog and have a look what my teamies have been getting up to!

Hugs
Ei x









3 comments:

  1. such fabulous techniques and put together in a wonderful tutorial even a beginner can understand. Thank you for sharing your beautiful projects made as well xxx
    Happy Birthday LOC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so Helen! Welcome to my place and I hope you enjoy your stint ad GDT on LOC!
      Hugs
      Ei
      x

      Delete
  2. Fabulous explanation of the technique Ei, if I get some time this weekend I will give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment!
I will try to respond where time allows.
Hugs
Eiglas
x

Lots going on at Chez Eiglas... ;)

I've been home from work now for nearly three months - and it has been wonderful...! I've drawn, painted, had an amazing time with ...